Customer Advisory: Week 33 2021
August 23, 2021
Unique problems deserve simple solutions
Since our last advisory, we’ve continued to deal with delays, congestion, and gridlock across the global supply chain. The delta variant of COVID has compounded this gridlock with port shutdowns, airport shutdowns, and manufacturing shutdowns. Still, in the midst of these unique problems, there are opportunities and solutions.
The intent of this advisory is to inform you of the supply chain disruptions that might impact your business.
Outbound Asia/Trans-Pacific Eastbound
- LA/Long Beach Terminals are backed up.
- New liner services and charter vessels will complicate matters in Southern California.
- Port congestion continues to build along the East Coast.
- Anchorage and dwell times are trending up.
- Land-based capacity unable to handle added inflows.
- Inbound rail to the Midwest is improving with better turnarounds.
- Rail freight from the West continues with delays.
- The chassis shortages continue to cause delays in pickups and delivery of containers.
- Inland port shipments are limited.
- The port and rail congestion has directly impacted road operations.
- Trucking costs continue to soar.
What can we expect going forward?
- More COVID-induced impacts.
- Limited supply as container demand outpaces container availability.
- Continued container rate increases.
- Continued chassis shortages.
- More transloads to inland ports.
- Ocean freight transitioning to air.
- Christmas retail sales could be at risk.
Finding predictability in uncertain times
The Dunavant team values the opportunity to provide the solutions and services you need and expect from us. Throughout these challenging times, we will continue to be transparent and open in helping you make decisions to best support your business. Should the current outlook change, we will inform you accordingly.
In the meantime, we will continue to work diligently to identify opportunities to secure available space. In addition to space, we are also positioned to offer port transload services as needed while we work through the lack of service to inland ports. Where it works, you may need to consider an airfreight option. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your Dunavant contact should you have any questions.
Your Dunavant Team