Customer Advisory Week 38 – 2021
The gridlock continues
The global traffic jam continues, and container records are being set in US ports. As of today, there are 65 container ships waiting for berthing in LA/Long Beach. To bypass this traffic jam, the transpacific import community seeks other routes, only to find port congestion in East Coast and Southern Ports. No matter where you go, the gridlock is compounded by limited workers, a lack of storage capacity, insufficient supply of chassis and trucks, and congested rail. With that said, we remain committed to finding solutions for our customers.
The intent of this advisory is to inform you of the supply chain disruptions that might impact your business.
Outbound Asia/Trans-Pacific Eastbound
- LA/Long Beach Terminals are backed up.
- New liner services and charter vessels are complicating matters in Southern California.
- LA/Long Beach extending operating hours at truck gates.
- Land-based capacity unable to handle added inflows.
- The chassis shortages continue to cause delays in pickups and delivery of containers.
- Inland port shipments are limited.
- The port and rail congestion has directly impacted road operations.
- Trucking costs continue to go up.
What can we expect going forward?
- More ships stuck at anchor.
- More cancelled sailings.
- Limited supply as container demand outpaces container availability.
- Continued container rate increases.
- Continued chassis shortages.
- More transloads to inland ports.
- Cancelled manufacturing orders.
- Christmas retail sales limited by supply.
By being flexible and transparent, we are still able to support your business, and get your freight moving. We are having success with transloading services to get freight to inland ports. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your Dunavant contact should you have any questions about this option or any other potential solution.
Representation at the top
This week, our very own Melzie Wilson, VP of Global Operations, is in Washington DC speaking on the Ocean Shipping Reform Act, and the critical issues that face the global supply chain in an effort to identify solutions for our customers and industry as a whole.